[bksvol-discuss] Re: Word 2010 "more" search options

  • From: "Judy s." <cherryjam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 23 Dec 2016 15:07:36 -0600

Hi Tracy,

Are you trying to find a capitol T preceded and followed by a space? If so, the following should help using Word 2010.

In Word 2010 the Find box that you bring up with a control F has a way to get to the advanced find which gives you options to let you search for exactly this. However, it's a pain in the butt to get to the advanced find, and it doesn't have any keyboard shortcuts to get there.

Instead, I recommend getting there by using the "search and replace" box. You can get to it via a control h. When that box opens, you'll be on a tab that says replace. If you type an alt d, you will move to the advanced find box tab.

Navigate to the "more" button within this tab and select it. Then select the match case option by type an alt h, or by navigating to the match case selection box and clicking it. Navigate back to the "find what" and type in: blank space capitol T blank space.

You can then either select the "Find Next" button or type alt F to find each instance of it in your document.

When you are done with all of the searches, make sure to turn the "match case" option back off again, or it will remember this option and drive you insane trying to figure out why your searches aren't working if you do another search that doesn't require you to match the case before closing down Word

I hope that helps. smile.

Judy s.
Follow me on Twitter at QuackersNCheese <https://twitter.com/QuackersNCheese>
On 12/23/2016 7:14 AM, Tracy Carcione wrote:

I’m using Word 2010, a distinct step-down from older versions, IMO. I want to find exactly “t “ to find those pesky occurrences when “I” scanned as “T”. But I can’t find the “more” under search, where I could say Whole word only. The silly thing is ignoring the space after the t, and finding every t in the book.

Any ideas? Otherwise, I’ll fire up my good old Word version and do it there.

Tracy