[bksvol-discuss] Weird scanner issue

  • From: "Christine Parsons" <christine-parsons@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2008 21:20:43 -0600

Hi all,

Maithe's recent comment about page breaks being stripped out of one of her
files when she opened it in Word made me remember another scanning issue I had
while scanning textbooks over winter break. It happened with two of the ten
textbooks I scanned (and four more suffered the same fate as Maithe's file, so
out of ten textbooks I scanned, only about three of them were even readable,
much less submission quality). I scanned the books in OpenBook, saving the
files as RTF files. Everything looked fine in OpenBook, but when I opened the
files in Word, there were huge numbers of blank lines between lines of text.
For example, two lines of a paragraph might be on one page, then two pages
later there would be another few lines, then five pages later there would be
another single line, and so on. This type of thing is hardly worth fixing, so I
just decided to rescan the books, but I am really curious to know if any of you
can explain this.

Christine