[bksvol-discuss] Weird new scanno

  • From: Mike <mlsestak@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 07 Sep 2008 14:45:17 -0700

I just had a book with a scanno that I haven't seen before. It must be something with the particular font in the book, but it combined fl and fi in words into a single character. I don't know what you would call this character. I have enough sight to read, but not enough to drive. I read this entire book without noticing anything peculiar about words like float and find, but when I did a spell check, it kept flagging words like those as misspelled. How could that be? But then I deleted one of those words one character at a time and "lo and behold" the fl or fi deleted as a single character. So, I copied this character into find and replace, and put fi or fl into the replace box as appropriate and sure enough most of the fi and fl in the book were this character.

So that is my validation observation for the day.

Misha