[bksvol-discuss] Re: Visionaries outline web's future

  • From: Tracy Carcione <carcione@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 12 Oct 2004 10:17:36 -0400 (EDT)

Pratik,
It's my understanding that these digital scans are essentially images, no more readable to us than the original print, except, I suppose for not being bound. I think we would still have to scan them with K1K or something, and still have to fix scanner errors. I'd be happy to be wrong, though.
Tracy, happy to be your oclleague

On Tue, 12 Oct 2004, Pratik Patel wrote:

Oops,  I meant colleagues.

Pratik

-----Original Message----- From: bksvol-discuss-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:bksvol-discuss-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Pratik Patel Sent: Tuesday, October 12, 2004 7:57 AM To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx; bookshare-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx Subject: [bksvol-discuss] Visionaries outline web's future

Dear friends and oclleauges,

The following story from BBC may be quite interesting for those of us who
are avid bookwerms.

Universal access to all human knowledge could be had for around $260m, a
conference about the web's future has been told.

The idea of access for all was put forward by visionary Brewster Kahle, who
suggested starting by digitally scanning all 26 million books in the US
Library
of Congress.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/1/hi/technology/3725884.stm

Pratik Patel