[bksvol-discuss] Validating our own submissions

  • From: Cindy <popularplace@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 6 Mar 2005 18:56:05 -0800 (PST)

Nolan,

You are right, that the general policy is that someone
else should validate a scanner's books, but if that
isn't happening, then the scanner should.

I and others have strongly suggested that if a book
one has scanned remains on the download list for
several weeks --maybe set an arbitrary amount of time
like a month -- then the submitter should validate
his/her own work. If, like you, the scanner has
pre-validated it, then just download it, doublecheck
the pagination and maybe run another spell check, and
upload. If the scanner hasn't prevalidated, then
he/she should take it upon him/herself to do so,
preferably carefully, but at least the minimum
required. Otherwise the book might never make it to
the collection. Some people just scan and submit and
their books have been on the download list for months,
literally. I've seen books that were submitted in
March, May, June, July and August lf 2004.

Cindy

-- Nolan Crabb <ncrabb@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> My screen reader solemnly spake the words of Scott
> Blanks written at 06:09
> AM 3/2/2005 as follows:
>  >I'm curious as to whether there are others on here
> who both scan and
>  >validate their own submissions, who experience a
> long wait time for
>  >approval?
>

> Folks, I thought we weren't supposed to validate our
> own stuff.  Trust me,
> if that edict, rule, suggestion, whatever it is, has
> gone by the wayside,
> I'm gonna start validating every one of my own
> books.
>
> I assumed we were supposed to have someone else look
> at our stuff as a kind
> of quality control safeguard.  I wish someone
> somewhere with some knowledge
> of what the admin folks really want would explain
> this.  I'd dearly love to
> do my own validations.  I already go through a
> pretty rigorous
> pre-submission validation.  I'm sure it doesn't
> catch everything, but it
> comes relatively close, I believe.  Those of you who
> have validated my
> stuff may disagree.  <smile>  If so, that would be a
> good thing to
> know.  But I'd truly appreciate some kind of
> clarification on the whole
> self-validation thing.
>
> Nolan

Celebrate Yahoo!'s 10th Birthday!