[bksvol-discuss] Re: Uploaded Before the Dawn:recovering the lost history of our ancestors

  • From: "Katie Hill" <kaitlyn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2007 17:55:39 -0800

HI Cindy,

To add to E's comments.

When Kurzweil and Openbook scan a file it takes a picture or creates a jpg
file with the picture or image of the page. Then the OCR software looks at
the page and converts it into a text file that the screen reader can read.
When you scan a page, you have the option of keeping images or not. Now, for
example, you have a page with a picture of a dog and a half page of text.
The OCR software will ignore the picture of the dog and recognize the text
on that page.

Now, a good example of how images kept in a kes file was helpful. I did a
Doreen virtue book that had some intuition exercises. You did the exercise
and went to a page later in the book to see how well you noticed the word or
picture displayed on that page. Since the pages with the pictures, the OCR
software did not recognize anything on the description of the picture on the
page was there. Having the image available to have someone sighted to look
at I was able to put the description of the picture in so the reader could
do the exercises.

Okay, clear as mud?

Katie Hill
You can learn a lot if you are humble enough to listen.
Lynn Lewis Warren
Email: Kaitlyn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
503-777-7155