[bksvol-discuss] TumbleReadables

  • From: "Shelley L. Rhodes" <juddysbuddy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <blindbooks@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 23 Nov 2004 13:17:14 -0500

Interesting.  Worth checking out.

The following announcement from TumbleBooks is provided for your
information and is not an endorsement of any product or service:

TumbleReadables - Your Online Large Print Library
<http://www.tumblebooks.com/tumblereadable/images/header_left.gif>

 Dear Librarian:

Tumbleweed Press is pleased to announce the launch of two new online
reading services designed for visually and mobility impaired readers
of
all ages and interests.  Building on the success of
www.TumbleBookLibrary.com ("e-books for e-kids"), we are now excited
offer:

* www.TumbleReadables.com <http://www.tumblereadables.com/>
"Your Online Large Print Library"

* www.TumbleTalkingBooks.com
<http://www.tumbletalkingbooks.com/>
"Your Online Audio Book Library"

Now readers who have difficulty reading small print, who are
reluctant,
struggling, emergent , partially sighted, visually challenged, or just
love reading can enjoy classic novels, best sellers and more can read
titles that suit their taste and interest in a format that facilitates
access to reading.

TumbleReadables are described below. For more information about
TumbleTalkingBooks please visit its web site.

TumbleReadables is a collection of large print electronic books which
allow readers to read books online through the Internet by simply
clicking a button.  These books can be read anytime from anywhere.
All
you need is an Internet-enabled computer.

The TumbleReadable format, with its innovative font size slider,
enables
the reader to enlarge the font size to up to 34 points, bringing the
joy
of reading to young and old. Our auto page turner allows the reader to
set a time for each page to turn automatically- facilitating access
for
readers who are unable to turn the page manually.

For years print publishers have offered "large print" books to assist
those who experience difficulty in reading small print. Now, through
the
online TumbleReadables Collection (available at
<http://www.tumblereadables.com/> www.tumblereadables.com) libraries
and
schools can now provide readers of every ability and interest with
unlimited remote access to a collection of titles licensed from North
American book publishers.

Just click on link below to get your free username/password so you can
review and evaluate the collection and this new online reading
service:

http://www.tumblebooks.com/tumblereadable/register.asp

The TumbleReadable collection includes Classics like War and Peace,
David Copperfield, Robinson Crusoe, Fiction like The Joy Luck Club by
Amy Tan, Sophies Choice by William Styron, and Cat's Cradle by Kurt
Vonnegut , Non Fiction such as Winston Churchill's Their Finest Hour ,
and children's chapter books, YA novels, High Interest/Low Level books
and classic tales.

Readers and librarians alike appreciate the ease and low cost
convenience offered by this new reading service -- no sign-outs, no
CDs
or cassettes, no special software, no downloads no return date, no
paper. For libraries seeking to manage scarce resources while
increasing
reader services and access to reading, TumbleReadables is ideal.
Seniors and visually-impaired readers enjoy TumbleReadables for their
ease of access, variable print size that the reader controls, low
cost,
and the high quality selection of titles. Teachers, ESL students, and
read-aloud readers also use TumbleReadables as an
easy-to-read/easy-to-follow format for read-aloud sessions, providing
highly visible font size -- and with a few simple hook-ups, the text
can
even be projected onto a screen for everyone to see. With bookmark and
automatic page turner functions, TumbleReadables are far more than
just
on line e-books - they represent a new reading experience.

One of the best things about TumbleReadables is that it's completely
flexible. From the moment you subscribe, you are free to change titles
as often as you want, whenever you want. If a particular title isn't
being read or does not suit your readers, simply visit TumbleAdmin, at
your convenience, follow the prompts, and you can replace that title
with another title from our growing collection. You can change as many
titles as you want as often as you want , FOR NO EXTRA CHARGE -- it's
all part of the service. As far as we know, there's no other publisher
out there that lets you change titles as often as you want at no extra
cost, and makes the new title available to you and your readers at
their
home in a matter of seconds.

Once you have previewed TumbleReadables and are ready to subscribe, we
set up a link on your library web site so your readers can immediately
enjoy unlimited remote access to your collection. Once you subscribe,
we
do the rest: We manage the technology. We support the service -- in
fact
our system can support a virtually unlimited number of simultaneous
users, so readers never "compete" for limited library resources. And
since we're adding new titles to our catalogue all the time, you can
manage your TumbleReadable collection and select titles that suit your
readership as they become available. By using technology to deliver
literacy, TumbleReadables takes a load off precious library resources
while enhancing service and access to library members and readers.

Tumblereadables make use of Macromedia's Flash 7 software. This may
require the download of the free plugin although most of you will
already have Flash as it comes packaged with all browser software.
Installing the plugin, if needed, is easy. Simply click this
<http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer/> link and follow the
instructions.

Happy Tumbling!  Please do not hesitate to contact me personally if
you
have any questions about TumbleReadables or any of our online reading
services.

Ron Zevy

President

Tumbleweed Press