[bksvol-discuss] Re: To accept or reject, that is the question

  • From: Mayrie ReNae <mrenae@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2008 17:52:47 -0700

Hi Noel,

The accuracy rating required for a book to be called excellent has not changed. It has always been the same as far as Bookshare is concerned.

I personally would fix the book so that there isn't any missing text. I wouldn't put a book into the Bookshare collection with missing letters due to not pressing the book down hard enough on the scanner, which is generally what causes the problem that you are describing. You have several choices. You could release the book, if you aren't able or willing to fix those missing letters yourself, so that another validator can do it. You could just keep plugging away at it until it's not got that kind of error. Or in the worst case, you could reject the book (probably not a good idea with an accuracy rating that high), and hope that someone will rescan it.

In any case, I'm not a proponent at all of allowing books rated "good" into the Bookshare collection, or of uploading them for administration approval when I know that they will contain errors that will disrupt reading.

Peace,
Mayrie

At 02:31 PM 4/17/2008, you wrote:
Hi guys,

I haven't been heavily active with the volunteer community as we've
increased standards for what is accepted on bookshare.  I'm currently
working on validating a book.  Now I try to make a book as readable as I can
yet I'd like to have it accessible to bookshare readers.

So here's my issue.  This book that I'm working on has several pages that
are missing text at the spine.  There's not much text missing, and sometimes
its just a single shadow letter (I) etc.

K1k states the text quality as 99.5%, and spot reading the text says that
the text is indeed very readable in most cases.  Would you reject this title
or give it a good rating?

I'm working on trying to get the text fixed, but I wondered what we do now,
because I'm noticing that the "excellent" threshold has been raised
drastically since I validated a lot lately.

Thanks.

Noel

database 3035 (20080417) __________

http://www.eset.com