[bksvol-discuss] To Shine One corner Of The World by Shunryu Suzuki

  • From: "Amy Goldring Tajalli" <agoldringtajalli@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 9 Sep 2007 09:47:14 -0400

Hi,

A completely different topic this time. I can not do better than to quote from
the book cover: inside the front flap:

"We say, to shine one corner of the world - that is enough. Nit the whole
world. Just make it clear where  you are."  Shunryu Suzuki

And from inside the back cover:

"Shunryu Suzuki's extraordinary gift was for bringing  to life Zen teachings in
ordinary language. He arrived in San Franciso in 1959 and founded the San
Francisco Zen Center and Tassajara Zen Mountain Center, the first Buddhist
monastery in and for the Western world. By the time of his death, twelve years
later, he had deeply influenced thousands of people and made an indelible
impression on the spiritual landscape of the West." On need not be Buddhist nor
religious in any way to appreciate the wisdom contained in this book, and there
is kindness and humor therein as well. A lot to get from a very short book."

And from a non-Buddhist point a view I never pick it up but find something to
give me pause and make me reread and even read again even be it only one
sentence.

Amy
omsm