[bksvol-discuss] To Pratik About Fonts

  • From: Monica Willyard <plumlipstick@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2006 16:02:40 -0500

Pratik, I'm glad you brought up the posibility of future improvements in the Daisy format and conversion process. It wasn't something I had spent time considering. I have never seen print or colors, so I was only vaguely aware of fonts until Cindy mentioned them after I joined Bookshare. I had started converting everything to the 10 point size because Jaws skips text at larger font sizes, and I don't always know when it's skipping things. It seemed like an effective solution since the Bookshare books weren't retaining a lot of font information. I can see how it would detract from future book technologies though. I'm not sure how to find a good balance since I can't effectively validate text that I don't know is present. Do you have any suggestions for a good compromise? I don't have a Braille display, so whatever I do has to work well with speech. Thanks for any thoughts you can share.

Monica Willyard