[bksvol-discuss] Re: The World

  • From: "Sarah Van Oosterwijck" <curiousentity@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 15 Jun 2004 17:31:51 -0500

If the issue is just that the junk gets in the way I wouldn't reject the
book, but let someone with more time deal with it.  On the other hand, if
the missing or garbled material is necessary for a student to successfully
use the book it might be doing members a disservice to accept the book.  I
am happy bookshare has many text books, but I am afraid of a terrible
situation occurring.  I am certain that at some time an educational
institution will say there is a copy of a book a student needs on bookshare,
so the students needs have been met, when in fact the bookshare copy is not
accurate or complete enough to meet the needs of the student.  Pictures,
graphs, charts, and unhelpfully formatted text can be a huge problem in many
text books.  I had problems with some even simple boxes with short bits of
text in them in a psychology book I scanned while in college.
Similar, but different, was the problem caused by a surly publisher of a
Unix book I needed for one class.  Unfortunately, they thought that RFB&D
completely met the needs of blind people, and that no other form of there
books should ever exist. My disability services rep. and I were both
outraged, and decided we couldn't care less about their opinions if they
were going to be so rude, so we attempted  to scan the book.  As a result I
got a poor grade, because nothing at the time could handle that book very
well and made a mess of the really important parts, like the commands.
Anyone who knows about Unix will know what I mean.
So, basically I am saying that something isn't always better than nothing,
because people can't tell you that no book at all is sufficient for your
needs.

Sarah Van Oosterwijck
curious entity at earthlink dot net