[bksvol-discuss] The Silmarillion - scanner & editor.

  • From: "Amy Goldring Tajalli" <agoldringtajalli@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx (Bksvol-discuss)
  • Date: Tue, 27 May 2008 17:33:32 +0000

I wan to applaud the Scanner and Editor of Tolkien's The Silmarillion and wish I had read it years ago before I had scanned books with pictures and captions. This book shows how to do it and does it beautifully with a separate which has the caption and description. I don't know if the picture is a whole page (which I tend to assume but did not double check) or a partial page but it is irrelevant. As it is, the reader can skip the page or read it as s/he chooses.  I have not yet reached the  geneologies  but I don't doubt they are done as cleverly. I look forward to them. Now, when I get microphone, I look forward to teaching my reader how to pronounce the names. I just hope I do as well as the Scanner & Editor here and, I hope, with the rest of Tolkien.

I finally read The Children of Hurin and it has made me go back to all of Tolkien dealing with the same or related top ics. C hris' introduction says he has material that does not match previous versions of the legends but my memory did not find anything which has me heading back to the Lost Tales 1 & 2, as well as The Unfinished Tales after The Silmarillion. Thank you for all your work.. I, for one, find it worthy of its subject.

I wish I could still teach for I would teach Tolkien again but in depth and with these books and not just The Hobbit & LOTR.

Amy
omsm