[bksvol-discuss] The Last Summer (of You & Me) - Ann Brashares

  • From: Jamie Yates <jamieyates@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Bookshare Volunteers <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 14 Aug 2007 17:40:50 -0700 (PDT)

I'm listening to the chat in the Community Room (sorry I can't find my
microphone but I think I'd rather listen than speak anyway!) but I'm submitting
this book to the step 1 list now:

  The Last Summer (of You & Me) by Ann Brashares

  From the book's jacket:

  In the town of Waterby on Fire Island, the rhythms and rituals of summer are
sacrosanct: the ceremonial arrivals and departures by ferry; yacht club dinners
with terrible food and breathtaking views; the virtual decree against shoes;
and the generational parade of sandy, suntanned kids, running, swimming,
squealing, and coming of age on the beach.
Set against this vivid backdrop, The Last Summer (of You and Me) is the
enchanting, heartrending story of a beach-community friendship triangle among
three young adults for whom summer and this place have meant everything.
Sisters Riley and Alice, now in their twenties, have been returning to their
parents' modest beach house every summer for their entire lives. Petite,
tenacious Riley is a tomboy and a lifeguard, always ready for a midnight swim,
a gale-force sail, or a barefoot sprint down the beach. Beautiful Alice is
lithe, gentle, a reader and a thinker, and worshipful of her older sister. And
every summer growing up, in the big house that overshadowed their humble one,
there was Paul, a friend as important to both girls as the place itself, who
has now finally returned to the island after three years away. But his return
marks a season of tremendous change, and when a simmering attraction, a serious
illness, and a deep secret all collide, the three friends are
 launched into an unfamiliar adult world, a world from which their summer haven
can no longer protect them.
Ann Brashares has won millions of fans with her blockbuster series The
Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants, in which she so powerfully captured the
emotional complexities of female friendship and young love. With The Last
Summer (of You and Me), she moves on to introduce a new set of characters and
adult relationships just as true, endearing, and unforgettable. With warmth,
humor, and wisdom, Brashares makes us feel the excruciating joys and pangs of
love?both platonic and romantic. She reminds us of the strength and sting of
friendship, the great ache of loss, and the complicated weight of family
loyalty. Thoughtful, lyrical, and tremendously moving, The Last Summer (of You
and Me) is a deeply felt celebration of summer and nostalgia for youth.

Jamie in Michigan
Currently Reading - Just Desserts (a Savannah Reid mystery) by G A McKevett