[bksvol-discuss] Re: Support Needed For Our Volunteers and Members

  • From: Ann Parsons <akp@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 12 Dec 2008 08:35:03 -0500

Hi all,

Monica, you are truly well named. If you look up Saint Monica you will see why!

I think your ideas have merit, and getting information into the hands of folks who need it is an excellent way to support our members and volunteers. As it happens, I've been in discussion with some folks in an organization called The Enabling Support Foundation. We've been mostly concentrating on Education and computers and such, but recently, a couple of interesting people have joined. us. Leslie is an herbalist and nutritionist, and wants to set up a wellness center online. I'm not exactly sure what form this will take, but any info that she puts up on her web site might be of use in this effort.

One resource which may be of use to some is The Public Market. These are also making a come-back, and can be found in most cities or rural farm towns. Here you can find fruit and veggies at a much reduced price as well as baked goods and more, depending on the market.

Learning to cook real food isn't all that hard, and maybe we should have some kind of session on this in the chat room? Oh, I don't mean Cooking In The Dark but down-to-earth practical tips on how to cook a chicken, for example, or how to know when pasta is done. Oh, yes, I know there are a million ways to cook chicken, but I'm talking about your basic baked chicken or stewed chicken. How to make stew is another good one, or goolash or a simple stir-fry. These are basic, easy skills that folks can pick up easily. Oh, yes, and biscuits, yes the good, old fashioned kind made with flour and shortening and milk and soda.

Yes, Monica, let's do it! I'll validate, hmmm, I guess we're supposed to call it proofing now, I'll proof anything along this line.

Ann P.

--
Ann K. Parsons
Portal Tutoring