[bksvol-discuss] Star Trek in the movies and in the collection, angels and Demons

  • From: "Estelnalissi" <airadil@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 8 May 2009 17:22:04 -0400

Dear Booksharian Friends,

Last night Evan and I saw the preview showing of the new Star Trek movie with young actors portraying the classic Trek characters on their first voyage on the Enterprise. We loved the movie but must warn you that there's lots of noisy action you may not be able to follow if you can't see. On the plus side, there are many classic lines that will be music to any Trekker's ears. As a McCoy fan, I grinned from ear to ear when Bones said, "I'm a doctor not a physicist."

Today we went to Burger King were you can get a set of 4 beautiful Trek glasses, Kirk, Spock, Uhura and..., for $6.99 or individual glasses for $1.99 and 16 toys with kid meals or for $.99 cents each without the meal. All of the toys say classic Trek phrases or make engine noises. Each week 4 different toys will become available and if you aren't quick, your BK might be out of them and they won't restock. Even the paper drink cups have Trek pictures on them. I balked at drinking out of a cup with the villain's wormy face on it so my guide/friend switched it for a Kirk cup. Evan had a cup with the beautiful new Uhura and I tried not to be jealous. We had some hardy laughs at the talking toys. When we were approaching my house with groceries and the stash of Trek stuff, the shuttle craft in the bag, with a little nudge, said, "Approaching drop zone."

There are several books set in the Trek universe in the Bookshare collection. Some may need rescans and there are some gaps for volunteers who want to make a Trekker difference. Between the new movie and Bookshare you can have a Trek convention all your own.

Angels and Demons based on the book by Dan Brown, will be opening soon. I prefer reading the book upon which a movie is based before seeing the movie so I called NLS to ask for Angels and Demons in braille. They don't have it, but Bookshare does! Go Bookshare!

Every day I hope to find book chat on these lists. If you've read anything you liked on Bookshare lately and write about it here, I guarantee at least one person will welcome your comments and read your post with interest...me!

Live Long and Prosper and

Always with love,

Lissi