[bksvol-discuss] Staff clarification needed: Using Synopses from Amazon

  • From: "Judy s." <cherryjam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 23 Sep 2012 19:20:23 -0500

We need Bookshare staff to clarify: can we directly use Amazon's synopses as the synopses for books submitted to the Bookshare collection?

The synopses on Amazon come from Amazon's internal metadata system, which is a product they offer in competition with similar products from companies like Ingram. If it's OK for us to use an Amazon synopsis, than great, it will sure make my life easier, grin, but that's not what I was told by Bookshare staff in the past.

Judy s.

On 9/23/2012 10:47 AM, Chela Robles wrote:
I'm changing the subject line so that way it can not throw anyone off.
Yes you can use the synopses from the product in Amazon from the publisher's description...but, you can't use user comments.

On 9/23/2012 8:42 AM, Roger Loran Bailey wrote:
I thought that a long time ago we were instructed on this list to not use synopsis information from Amazon. It has been a long time now, so perhaps I am remembering wrong and it was just part of what you find on Amazon that we were not to use.
On 9/23/2012 9:36 AM, Mark Lind-Hanson wrote:
Roger
You can also use the Product Description (if there is one) from Amazon.
DO NOT use any reader reviews or other content, which would be considered copyrightable.
Mark Lind-Hanson