[bksvol-discuss] Re: Some old books requested

  • From: Ann Parsons <akp@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2008 15:23:04 -0400

Hi all,

Liz, old books but wonderful. I just saw Airs Above The Ground turn up on the NLS Digital list, so you may want to check Web Braille. <smiling> The Gabriel Hounds is about Lebanon, not Afghanistan, and the old Lebanon, the one before the Paris of the Medeterranian, Beirut, was distroyed by all the troubles. It's a wonderful book!

Airs Above The Ground is set in Austria and concerns the Lipizanner horses. I didn't care for Thunder On The Right either. I sort of remember My Brother Michael, but loved The Moon Spinners much better. Oh, and Madam Will You Talk, too. Oh, Liz, how *could* you forget the plot of This Rough Magic? Corfu, Corfu, remember the dolphin and the motorcycle ride down the mountain? And how could you possibly forget that wonderful scene in the rose garden between the new and old thespians? That's my favorite of all time! Now you've got me thinking. I'm going to have to dig out my old rips and listen again!

Man, could Mary Stewart write Gothics. I think she's better than Victoria Holt or Phyllis Whitney, though some of what those two ladies wrote came sort of close.

Yes, if you get tired of validating Stewart books, send 'em to me. Oh, yes, and how about Nine Coaches Waiting? The Mystery Book Club did that one last year. Whew, could that lady pick settings! That one is on Bookshare, I know for a fact.

Ann P.

--
Ann K. Parsons
Portal Tutoring