[bksvol-discuss] Re: Smash Words books

  • From: Roger Loran Bailey <rogerbailey81@xxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2012 23:39:54 -0400

If Smash Words publishes any books in hard copy Amazon should have listing pages for them, so I just did an advanced search on Amazon for the publisher Smash Words. I got one result and it is an ebook. I would say that that publisher should be removed from the safe publisher list. For that matter, I will repeat my earlier suggestion. There are uncountable publishers out there around the world both past and present. The publishers that Bookshare has signed an agreement with are a very small minority of them. That means that it is a hopeless task to compile all the safe publishers. My suggestion is to just have a list of the publishers that contribute to Bookshare along with all of their imprints and it can then be assumed that if the publisher is not on the list then it is safe. In a case like Smash Words it is still no problem. You won't be scanning one of their books because they have no books to scan.

On 10/17/2012 11:19 PM, Dornetta wrote:
Roger;
That is the reason why I posed the question and also the reason why I "questioned" the Smash Words publishers being on the safe publishers list. I only know of Smash Words being an "on-line" publisher and have not ran across any of their books being sold in bookstores (at least not to date) although many of those who publish on Smash Words also have printed books in bookstores. Like I said I am a member of Smash Words and one day soon will publish my own work on the site but was just curious. It was not meant to bring any harsh discussion only wanting clarification.
*smile*
Netta