[bksvol-discuss] Re: Slight change in my procedure re bestsellers

  • From: "siss52" <siss52@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 28 Apr 2009 13:53:01 -0500

Hey, that is great, Carrie!!

Sue S.

----- Original Message -----
From: Carrie Karnos
To: Bookshare Vol Group
Sent: Tuesday, April 28, 2009 12:46 PM
Subject: [bksvol-discuss] Slight change in my procedure re bestsellers

Hi gang,

I now have the ability to add, modify and delete entries in the special
collections. I can't add or delete collections, but at least I can change
the entries. When I add an entry, it requires me to put in the book's ID
number, which means I can't put in dummy placeholders for books that will be
coming in; I can only add books that are currently in the collection.
Engineering has put in some dummy placeholders in various special
collections, but I don't have that ability.

What this means is that I'm going to be putting in the New York Times
bestsellers in a piecemeal fashion. In the past, I'd put in all of the books
for a month, and just make placeholders for the books not live yet. I can't
do that, so I have two choices: either I wait until all of the books are
live, or I put them in as the books become live. The first option is not
reasonable, since some books take quite a while. For example, there's still
1 book outstanding in the February bestseller collection and 3 from April.

I just put in 17 bestsellers for May, but there are another 21 bestsellers
for May that aren't done yet. I'll put them into the bestsellers special
collection, as they are approved. I'd like to put in dummy placeholders, but
given that I can't, I think that this is the best alternative.

Thanks for your understanding, Carrie

06:15:00