[bksvol-discuss] Simon Teen Newsletter

  • From: "Jamie Yates, CPhT" <mirxtech@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Bookshare Volunteers <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 1 Feb 2010 22:17:35 -0500

We All Have Secrets
Sweet, Hereafter
By Angela Johnson
I left home on pot roast day, the day my brother scored three goals at his
soccer match, the day I couldn't find my house keys. I left home the day I
couldn't think of a good reason to stay. And when I realized I had to go
back for my jeans, I didn't have to go in. They were waiting for me folded
in a box outside the front door.
So I moved in with Curtis in a cabin in the woods. People in my small town,
Heaven (not to be confused with the real thing), talk about how Curtis is
AWOL from fighting in Iraq. But that's okay, I know him—enough.
Three-time Coretta Scott King Award winner Angela Johnson ends her Heaven
trilogy with this bittersweet tale about what it means to truly care
about—and lose—someone. The first book, Heaven (available in paperback for
the first time), was first published in 1998, so it's been a long time
coming! Start where you left off, or do yourself a favor, start from the
beginning.

Restless Souls and Empty Hearts
Chasing Brooklyn
By Lisa Schroeder
A year ago Lucca died in a car crash. He was Brooklyn's first "I love you"
boyfriend and Nico's brother. But there's a funeral again and a coffin with
another boy inside, and it's Gabe, the survivor of the crash that killed
Lucca. You can hear the word in the hall at school over and over again.
Suicide. Suicide. Suicide. Did he or didn't he? Everyone's got a guess.
Still no one knows for sure, except Gabe, but he's not talking.
So why does Brooklyn hear him? Every time she closes her eyes, he's there,
waiting for her. But what Brooklyn doesn't know is that Nico is seeing the
dead as well, only it's Lucca. And he has a very clear message: Make sure
Brooklyn is okay.
The story is told from alternating POVs, and Nico and Brooklyn have two very
distinct voices. You won't be able to choose which one is more compelling to
read! And don't get scared about the verse format, it reads just as smooth
as the average novel you're used to, but BETTER! Try it, I dare you!

--
Jamie in Michigan

Currently Reading: Finishing Touches by Hester Browne