[bksvol-discuss] Re: Scanning processes and options

  • From: "Monica Willyard" <rhyami@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 6 Feb 2009 19:49:00 -0500

Hi Denise. I think there are as many scanning methods as ways to bake
brownies. :-) Even though we all scan books, each of us finds a way that
works best for us. I like that Bookshare lets us decide how we want to do
things. I sit at my desk and scan books on a flatbed scanner without doing
any damage to the book like cutting off the spines. Once I'm done scanning,
I either trade the book on PaperbackSwap.com or donate it to my local
library. Katie Hill, one of our long-time volunteers, has a scanner with a
document feeder. She removes the spines from book and runs the pages through
the feeder. Then she reads the book to make sure everything scanned well.
Louise, another of our volunteers, sits in her rocking chair and scans books
while she talks to me and others on Skype.

A lot of us are blind and use special software that makes scanning easier
for us, programs like Openbook and Kurzweil. We have many dedicated
volunteers, both blind and sighted,  who use programs like FineReader and
Omnipage for scanning.

Some of us use scanners designed for scanning books such as the Opticbook
3600. Others use scanners by Epson, HP, and Canon. Epson makes high-quality
but affordable scanners that get good results and are durable. The OpticBook
costs more, and it's a nice choice for a person who scans lots and lots of
books. There tech support isn't very good, so I think it's fair to tell
people about that, even though I really like how the scanner works for me. I
used to use a Canon LIde scanner because they're inexpensive. It worked, but
it was harder to get a clear scan. It could be done but took some tweaking.
The Epson 4490 is a really nice scanner, and it is both fast and reliable.

I hope this helps you a bit. I know the process can seem complicated at
first. I just want you to know that you can do this in the way that works
best for you personally.

Monica Willyard

  _____