[bksvol-discuss] Ray Kurzweil at Western Mich.

  • From: juddysbuddy@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: "bookshare-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <bookshare-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 5 Nov 2005 23:08:01 -0500 (EST)

Hey you all,

Tonight we had a very special guest at Western Michigan university.  A
rather famous person and one that all of us, and bookshare depend upon for
well his genius.

Ray Kurzweil came and gave a very mind boggling, smile, presentation on the
development of technology, where technology will go in the future, and how
we can master the technology.

It was absolutely fascinating, and smile.

Well, I will have to say the story.  Smile, am embarrassed about it, now
but, smile.

Ah, anyway.

We had a reception before his talk, and we had "munchies" smile, basically
fruit, cheese cake, brownies, punch, and veggies.  Anyway several of the WMu
students who are in the Blindness and Low Vision Studies department were
sitting together in circle, talking about how we would like to meet him, and
I was telling them about Bookshare and how Kurzweil is such a great program.

There was this gentleman sitting across the little cluster of seats from me
and low and behold, he stood up, and introduces himself as Ray Kurzweil.

He had been sitting there for a while, listening to us, and well... needless
to say we were a bit embarrassed.  But he was really nice and we introduced
ourselves.

Tomorrow we have a Students Only time with him for questions and answers at
10:00 a.m. am going to try to make it, smile.

But it was an awesome experience.

He has four books out.  I see that we only have
3 of them, and The Age of Spiritual Machines isn't there.  so if anyone
wants to scan it, smile, I would love to read it.

Fascinating stuff though.

I am glad to see his current one The How to live Long enough to live
forever.

But a very fascinating experience and am still trying to comprehend it all,
my brain is definitely on overload.

But it was all so fascinating and logical, smile.

And he said the "hand held" scanner and OCR package will be selling in July
of next year.

juddysbuddy@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Guide Dogs For the Blind Inc.
Graduate Advisory Council