[bksvol-discuss] Re: Questions from a New Volunteer

  • From: "Darrell Shandrow" <darrell.shandrow@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 26 Apr 2008 14:15:18 -0700

Hi Ciara,

First, yes, on the Step 2 page, you may select the Renew option instead of
uploading the book.  This will give you another week.  There are no limits on
the number of times you may renew a book, though please keep in mind that
another volunteer is unable to work on it as long as you have it checked out.

Second, yes, it is appreciated (but not required) if you are able to move
hyphenated words and remove the hyphens for easier reading.  I don't believe
there is a preference as to which side of the page break the word should appear.

Third, you have a couple of options with respect to the visual descriptions.
You could simply do your best.  You could have someone else scan the book.
Finally, you could scan the text, then give the book to someone else, who sends
you the text of the visual descriptions to add in your own copy prior to
submission to Bookshare.

Thank you for all your efforts as a new volunteer here at Bookshare!  We really
appreciate the time you are able to spend with us.  The scanning and validation
efforts of all volunteers make tangible differences in the lives of children
and adults with print reading disabilities.

All the best,

Darrell