[bksvol-discuss] Re: Question About A Lookup

  • From: Melissa Smith <mdsmith25@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2010 07:24:51 -0500

Susan, I sent a detailed message about books.google.com several months ago. It isn't helpful in all situations, but has been helpful for some. If the book is available in full text, which are books that are no longer under copyright, you can download and read any of them, or, there should be a link for screen reader users, which will allow you to read whatever page. This, most likely, isn't going to be any of the books we're doing for Bookshare, but you never know. Second there are books with limited preview or snippet view. In this case, I type the title of the book in quotes, followed by space, a plus sign, and another space, followed by the phrase that I'm having difficulty with. I don't include the garbled part, just the part immediately before or immediately after. Then when the search results come up, I do not click on the title of the book, because that will take you to a page that only has an image of the page. I look at the are on the search results page that google uses for a description of the link your looking at. That will show what is around the phrase you searched for, unless it is on a page that has restricted content. Being that these books have limited preview, not all pages are available for previewing. There are also books with no preview, and then nobody can see inside them, sighted or not. I hope this was helpful. I haven't used it lately, as the books I've been working on were all in the no preview category.

Melissa Smith

On 6/21/2010 9:50 PM, Susan wrote:
Hi Everyone,
Is there a way a totally blind proofer can look up info in a particular book such as on what page a chapter begins, such as a sighted person is able to do with Amazon Peek? Seems like Debby mentioned something about this, but, of course, I have forgotten what she said, as I did not encounter that particular problem when she mentioned it! Thanks in advance.
Susan
Susan