[bksvol-discuss] Re: Quality checks procedure -- was WRe: Re: Self-validation

  • From: Guido Corona <guidoc@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 20 Jun 2004 10:04:27 -0500

That is correct.  To clarify,  A typical quote on most books printed in
North america roughly  looks like two apostrophes placed close together.
In some cases the OCR screws up and replaces this double-quote symbol with
a pair of simple apostrophes.  Repairing this problem  simply helps to
restore the book to its original typography.  The problem does not usually
affect speech,  but is noticeable visually and in Braille.

Guido

Guido D. Corona
IBM Accessibility Center,  Austin Tx.
IBM Research,
Phone:  (512) 838-9735
Email: guidoc@xxxxxxxxxxx

Visit my weekly Accessibility WebLog at:
http://www-3.ibm.com/able/weblog/corona_weblog.html

talmage@xxxxxxxxxx
06/19/2004 12:02 PM
Please respond to
bksvol-discuss

bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
cc

Subject
[bksvol-discuss] Re: Quality checks procedure -- was WRe:  Re:
Self-validation

Not sure, but what I think he was referring to was two apostrophes, as
opposed to a quote symbol.

At 11:35 AM 6/19/2004, you wrote:

>Guido,
>I hate to reveal the depth of my ignorance, and as no one else has asked
>the question, it must be deeper than I thought.
>What is the difference between a double single quote and a single double
>quote and how can I tell them apart and replace one with the other. My
>speech engine just says quote..
>
>Jim
>

>At 01:55 PM 6/18/04 -0500, you wrote:
> >
> >   I found that the following set of checks tend to generate rather
high
> >results:
> >

> >  sample every 20 pages.
> >
> > works best if the book uses the word 'chapter' or something else to
search
> >for.
> >
> > Definitely tedious, as I do it on each and every page.
> >
> >   I merge it with the last word on the previous page if appropriate.
> >
> >  These will let you find all sorts of words that were split at end of
> >lines or at end of pages and can be repaired.
> >
> >      Remove manually each occurrence of these clustered nasty things
as
> >appropriate.
> >
> >    Remove or repair manually as required.
> > we can copy/paste them in the find dialogue to search for them in the
> >document.
> >
> >    Do each change manually as appropriate.
> >
> >  in most cases that should be changed to I followed by apostrophes.
> >
> >  In most cases that is part of a '11, which should become an 'll.
> >
> > Do a mass replacement of double single quote with single double quote.
> >
> >     you may be deleting someone's middle initial.
> >

> >Hope this helps.
> >
> >Guido D. Corona
> > Austin Tx.
> > IBM Research,
> > (512) 838-9735
> > Email: guidoc@xxxxxxxxxxx
> >
> > Visit my weekly Accessibility WebLog at:
> > http://www-3.ibm.com/able/weblog/corona_weblog.html
> >

> >   <>
> >Sent by: bksvol-discuss-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx 06/18/2004 12:23 PM Please
> >respond to