[bksvol-discuss] Re: Qualifying for Bookshare vs NLS (was scan...)

  • From: "Judy s." <cherryjam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2008 18:22:12 -0500

1. If you qualify for NLS you automatically qualify for Bookshare.
2. If you do not qualify for NLS, you may still qualify for Bookshare because Bookshare's requirements for qualification are less restrictive than NLS. Bookshare is allowed to do this because it is a private non-profit, not a governmental agency, and can by law, as I understand it, use a broader set of criteria to determine if individuals are qualified.

Hope that helps explain it.

Judy s.

Rogerbailey81@xxxxxxx wrote:
Well, I am acquainted with her pretty well and she does have multiple hidden handicaps, but as far as I know it was the dyslexia that qualified her and as far as I know her other handicaps do not effect her ability to read. Anyway, if it is the law and not the agency that establishes the qualifications and if Bookshare accepts registration with the NLS as proof of qualification for Bookshare then why would the qualifications be different? In a message dated 9/23/2008 12:49:47 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time, cherryjam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

    It is indeed the law that makes the qualifications, and dyslexia
    (and many other
    disabilities) is not automatically eligible under the law.  Smile.

    Quoting from the official NLS FAQ at
    http://www.loc.gov/nls/reference/factsheets/readingdisabilities.html:

    "The following groups of individuals are not automatically eligible:
    those who
    have learning disabilities, dyslexia, attention deficit disorder,
    attention
    deficit-hyperactivity disorder, chronic-fatigue syndrome, autism,
    functional
    illiteracy, or mental retardation, unless there is a specific
    accompanying
    visual or physical handicap."

    The key point is that all of the above must have a specific
    accompanying [i.e.,
    additional] visual or physical handicap in order to qualify.

    The individual you are acquainted with would have had to have had,
    under law, "a
    specific accompanying visual or physical handicap" in order to
    qualify for the
    NLS, unless some special circumstance allowed NLS to grant an exception.

    The point is, Roger, regardless of one individual who may have
    qualified for NLS
    with dyslexia, that it is not the general case.  Bookshare serves a
    wider group
    of disabled patrons than does NLS, and having something available in
    NLS does
    not make it available to everyone who is eligible for Bookshare.

    Judy s.

    Rogerbailey81@xxxxxxx wrote:
     > I am personally acquainted with a person who is an NLS patron on the
     > sole basis of being dyslexic. It is not the agencies that make the
     > qualifications. It is the law that makes the agencies possible that
     > makes the qualifications. The point is that the disability must
    be one
     > that makes reading print books impossible or so difficult as to be
     > impractical. In a message dated 9/22/2008 10:54:04 P.M. Eastern
    Daylight
     > Time, cherryjam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
     >
     >     Roger, Bookshare has a broader definition of physical
    disabilities
     >     than does
     >     NLS.  Individuals who do not qualify for NLS can in fact
    qualify for
     >     Bookshare -
     >     for example, those with dyslexia.  So it does make a
    difference if
     >     you're one of
     >     Bookshare's patrons who do not qualify for the NLS.
     >
     >     Judy s.
     >     Rogerbailey81@xxxxxxx wrote:
     >      > Nevertheless, though, there are physical disabilities that
    do not
     >      > qualify one for NLS services. However, the exact same
    qualifications
     >      > hold for the NLS, RFB&D and Bookshare, so I don't see that it
     >     makes a
     >      > difference.
     >     To unsubscribe from this list send a blank Email to
     >     bksvol-discuss-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
     >     put the word 'unsubscribe' by itself in the subject line.  To
    get a
     >     list of available commands, put the word 'help' by itself in the
     >     subject line.

    subject line.

Looking for simple solutions to your real-life financial challenges? Check out WalletPop for the latest news and information, tips and calculators <http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100000075x1209382257x1200540686/aol?redir=http://www.walletpop.com/?NCID=emlcntuswall00000001>.