[bksvol-discuss] Re: Public domain

  • From: Tony Baechler <tony@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2005 00:47:13 -0800

Hi Shelley. If you find a members only book with a copyright before 1922, tell the staff about it. Sometimes submitters put the wrong dates in. Remember that bookshare requires the most recent copyright date. That means that if a book was published in 1910 with an introduction copyright 1990, the 1990 date needs to be given. People forget sometimes. Also, while the text written and published before 1922 is public domain, the intro is not, thus making it a non-public domain book. I hope that's clear enough.

You could try scanning and submitting the 1919 book to bookshare, but I would suggest contacting PG instead. That way everyone will have access to the book, not just the blind or those who stumble on bookshare. Also it can go on DVD or CD-ROM so schools and libraries all over the world can read it. To start, go to this site and read the FAQs on how to submit books etc. They give very detailed instructions. Another option would be to send it to the PG Distributed Proofreaders. They are at pgdp.net and I encourage you to look, even though you have to register to do much proofing and you need vision to compare the page image with the scanned text. They will scan and proofread the book and frankly will probably do a better job than you because it is a full army of proofers rather than one person. Each person proofs a page at a time rather than an entire book so it gets done in hours instead of weeks. Below are links to the relevant sites. Look at all of these and I think that you will see that PG really is the best place for pre-1922 books. Cindy, this applies to your book also that you asked about.

http://www.gutenberg.org/ for FAQs on how to submit

http://copy.pglaf.org/ for the form and login site to get copyright clearance

http://pgdp.net/ for PG Distributed Proofreaders

One final note. You must send a scan of both the title and verso pages to the copy.pglaf.org site. The verso is the copyright page and is either the back of the title page or the next page. You have to get a free user ID to get the copyright clearance. You send the book and clearance to PGDP for scanning, or you can scan it yourself. Hopefully this is enough information for you or anyone else who has old, pre-1922 books sitting around. As always, ask if something is not clear.

At 11:38 PM 3/15/2005 -0500, you wrote:
Hey speaking of books published before 1922, I have seen several books on
the site, one that I found today was

The Story of My Life
By Helen Keller
published in 1910 but the site lists it as a members only book.

I have a book scanned from 1919 don't ask how I came across this gem, but am
not sure how to proceed, as it is in the public domain.