[bksvol-discuss] Re: Proofreading questioon help!!

  • From: Ann Parsons <akp@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 08 Dec 2014 06:26:56 -0500

Hi Sue,

OK, here is what I'd do

1. Make a copy of the new scan you were sent under a different name. In this way if you mess things up, you'll still have the clean scan you were sent.

2. Next I would take your proofed file, your "working" file, and save that first 227 pages, making sure that the file name is workingA or something equally as logical.

3. then, I'd go to the copy of the newly scanned file and go to page 227 with your ctrl-g command. Once there, go to the end of the page and do a ctrl-shift-end. This will select all the pages from 227 to the end of the book.

4.  Do a ctrl-c to copy those pages to the clipboard.

5. Then, I would enter filename WorkingA go to the end of the file and paste in the pages from the clipboard with ctrl-v.

This should give you a complete file whose name is workingA. If this file has all the pages right, and all is well, proof the rest of it, and submit it after changing its name to the book's title. Always be sure to make copies when tackling a job like this. You may not get it right the first time. If you follow the copying rule, you will always have a clean copy from which to start again. I do this with all books I proof because I have learned from experience that mistakes do happen, and they can be more easily rectified from a clean original than by having to download the thing again. I usually make a copy which is the plain book title and doesn't have my name in it, e.g. I change The_Quest_Ann_Parsons.rtf to The_Quest.rtf. After your book's been approved, erase all the working files and keep the final proofed copy.

HTH,
Ann P.

--
Ann K. Parsons