[bksvol-discuss] Problems with international characters

  • From: Valerie Maples <vlmaples@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2011 16:45:55 -0700 (PDT)

Nichole is tackling most of the American Girl books for the summer reading
contest and I noticed she was getting frustrated with the Josefina books which
have some Spanish words and letters.

I knowe were told not to label books as blingual unless they were true hybrids
since they would not be in Braille if so.  However these were processed in a
manner that has every occurrence of the words with garbage information after
every occurrence of those words.  Let me tell you, that is really annoying!  I
will go so far as to say it ruins comprehension because it is so distracting.

Does this mean that we should not represent international characters
correctly?
Or is it simply confined to some of the older books?  I feel really badly
because when Nichole reads a book by herself if there is a problem she
generally
cannot convey to us well enough what the problem was to file a quality report.
The books that I have access to I will repair as time permits, but they are low
on my priorities.  Only the most egregious jump out to us if we are walking in
and out of the room when she is listening, but if she is reading text that is
scrolling for her, we have no awareness of the problems in communication is so
slow for her that there is no easy way to write up the problems.

Anyway, has anyone else noticed these issues with international characters when
books are read out loud?
 Valerie

Keep up with Nichole's recovery: