[bksvol-discuss] Problems caused by Jaws

  • From: "Amy Goldring Tajalli" <agoldringtajalli@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2007 05:42:56 -0400

Although it does not do everything I need it to, I downloaded the demo of Jaws
to find out what it does do and found out more than I wanted to know.  I have
been using WordPerfect for "validating"/editing and while it drives me crazy it
was all I had.  I have been trying to find funding for the Kurzweil 1000 and
have finally found a source when the local Lighthouse suggested that Jaws might
be a less expensive solution.

What no one had anyway of knowing before is that Jaws and my computer and
WordPerfect just did not mix.  5 times in the last three days I spent time
fixing a scan only to have it  tell me that there was a mistake in the program
it had to close to repair it. Each time I lost all the work I had done. The
final straw was when Windows closed the program and said it was threatening the
whole computer.  Of the possible causes and cures was the question as to my
downloading any new software  which might be the problem and I should remove
it. If it was not the problem I could always redownload it.

To and behold. No Jaws, no problem with WordPerfect - at least not this new
problem. I can use it without fear of suddenly losing all the changes I had
made. Why this should be is beyond an English teacher's understanding but since
Jaws will not work for editing without an  word processing program it is of no
use to me and fortunately I will be getting the Kurzweil but I submit this
information as a precautionary tale in case mine is not a unique case.

Amy