[bksvol-discuss] Poet Project

  • From: Cindy Rosenthal <grandcyn77@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, Alisa Moore <alisam@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2012 22:33:44 -0700

I started t reply to Judy's post but I lost my note before sending it
(I forgot to save as a draft.

 One of the books requiring image descriptions is Junie B, First
Grader, shipwreck, so I think perhaps books for primary and elementary
school children qualify.
Volunteers interested in describing images for the project were asked,
a while ago, to sign up and received a list of books in the collection
that needed images described; they also received access to the proper
URL  (there is one site for boookshare volunteers and another for
other people). As anyone who has written descriptions knows, doing
them can be somewhat time-consuming, depending on the detail in the
image. I try to do one or two at a time as a break from proofing;
Describing images in children's books is my least favorite chore
because of the people involved; I try to describe them and what
they're wearing as well as what they're doing. The first book I did
was a high school or junior high Health book; I learned not to be so
detailed.

There are many books in the c collection that have images that need to
be described: science, history, geography, literature. Perhaps the
project can use more volunteers. Anyone interested should write to
Alisam@xxxxxxxxxxxx