[bksvol-discuss] Re: Pirate lists and Bookshare.org

  • From: Mike Pietruk <pietruk@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2005 15:35:20 -0500 (EST)

We *definitely* need a clarification from Jim on this.
I see it as Donna does, but I also understand Gary's interpretation.
Jim's concern, and rightly so, is that books retrieved from the BookShare
system (including Step 1 books) do not end outside of the Bookshare
system.
Taking it much farther would put BookShare on somewhat more shaky ground
as it is not in their proviso what Sarah, Donna, Gary, or I do with our
own personal scans.
Moreover, what if I scan a book, submitted it to BookShare, and a 3rd
party, unknown to me, decides to place it on a 3rd party system.
I certainly shouldn't be held responsible for that as the deed was done by
someone else.
I believe that Jim wants us to understand that material grabbed from
Bookshare cannot be redistributed.
Whether sending one's scans elsewhere may be questionable legally (I don't
know enough about copyright law to judge that) but is out of Benetech's
control.
Given the nature of some of these 3rd party sites, however, I would think
that it is highly likely that they could run afoul of the copyright
exceptions as their materials are probably not in a protected form
as required by the copyright exceptions.
Hence, one could conceivably be placing themselves at legal risk by
contributing
their scans to such a site.