[bksvol-discuss] Page Break memorandum

  • From: "Marissa Mika" <Marissa.M@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 8 Nov 2004 17:50:00 -0800

Hi Folks,

So after chatting with my colleagues here at Bookshare.org and reviewing
your emails about this sudden change in policy on page breaks, I have a
solution that I hope will be work-able.

First, let me just reiterate why we don't want to accept books without
page breaks: they make it more difficult to accurately navigate through
the DAISY books you download. If you're in a class and you're asked to
read pages 1-30 of Slaughterhouse Five, you want to have those pages
clearly marked in your DAISY book.

Sometimes volunteers over the course of their validating process
inadvertently strip page breaks along with their headers. In pushing
these page-less books back to the validation cue, it is our hope that
the original submitted file actually has the page breaks intact and it
can be re-uploaded with the pages intact.

So here's what we're going to do:

1.      We will continue to accept txt. files, but I strongly encourage
you to only submit text files that have the page breaks. (Remember, you
can also submit zipped files in RTF if you're worried about the
submission process taking too long.)
2.      The books that you submitted for final approval over the weekend
and last week that were pushed back to the download cue can be submitted
as is. We recognize the fact that you've put in a lot of hard work and
energy into validating these books, and we don't want to throw out
perfectly good scans. (Reggie, Cindy, others, don't about "The Dog
Listener.")
3.      We'd like to remind all of you volunteers to not strip the page
breaks while you're stripping headers.
4.      Stop accepting books with no page breaks on Wednesday, November
10, 2004. (I will change the validation instructions accordingly)

This is not meant to invalidate all of your hard work or anything of the
sort. We simply want to maintain a high level of quality on the site and
address some issues concerning those standards for our users.

Best,

Marissa

Bookshare.org Operations