[bksvol-discuss] Re: Ot: Pronouncing Guinevere (was Re: Re: O_T Introducing Guinevere)

  • From: "Amy Goldring Tajalli" <agoldringtajalli@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2007 01:47:15 -0400

Evan,

If you could only teach your reader - Guinness is Scots and Guinevere is Old
English or The Old Welsh which is the derivation of the name coming from the
word Gwenhwyfar meaning white phantom or white elf or even referring to the
Great white owl though by that I don't know if that is a great Snowy Owl or a
Great Horned Owl which is a phantom or spirit and therefore pale or white. Do
we have any members from Wales? My welsh is non-existent but Mary Stewart says
that the  Gwenhwyfar may be a real Owl or a phantom but the one we see in The
Hollow Hills  is both, the real one and a foreshadow of things to come as it is
a warning. In any event I don't doubt that Shelley's Gwenna is a very real
angel.

Amy