[bksvol-discuss] Re: Opening Files Using Kurzweil and Errors

  • From: Stephen Baum <steve@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2005 11:21:30 -0500

Hi Sharon.

We at KESI are always interested in documents that can't be opened. We can sometimes do something about it, and recover at least some of the document. We can't always, though. A KES file is an example of an OLE Compound document, which more or less contains a file system within a file. When that file's allocation table goes awry, its very difficult to get anything out of the file.

We are also interested in understanding why things like this happen (and they do, though rarely). We'd like to know what operating system you have, how full your disk is, what file system you are using, and, perhaps most importantly, what sorts of things you were doing with the file when you last had it opened.

You can send the file to me (not to the list, please) at steve@xxxxxxxx

Stephen

At 10:36 PM 10/29/2005, you wrote:
Hello,

I am currently scanning "Coming Home" by Rosemunde Pilcher. I closed the file to go and do something else and now I am trying to open it. Kurzweil is giving me an error saying that the format could not be determined. I saved the book in KES so I am not sure of the problem. Has anyone else had this happen to them? If so, do you have a solution to getting the file opened?

Thanks,
Sharon To unsubscribe from this list send a blank Email to