[bksvol-discuss] Re: One More Question:)

  • From: <ohio1803@xxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 21 Apr 2014 13:50:05 -0600

This is an interesting question.
And as a volunteer who mostly scans and submits books, I will appreciate
reading the consensus of the answer.

My current procedure has been this. Please advise if I should modify it.

When I scan books, quite often there will be pages that are Roman numeral
pages, but not labeled as such. Let’s say the first time I see a page number,
it is viii. And it is the Table of Contents. Wanting my scanned document to
come out right, I will go back and make sure there is a Roman numeral one, and
right on up until the pages with labeled numbers appear. Heck, sometimes this
may even mean I create a blank page, as some publishers seem to put the numbers
right when you open the book.

So, if this is unnecessary, let me know and I will quit bothering with this
sort of thing. Certainly as a reader it seems kind of unrelated to any reading
of the book’s contents. I only started to do it as I thought maybe the
Bookshare proofreader might wonder where are those earlier pages.

As a note to anyone using the Kurzweil K-1000 for scanning, this tip may be of
use to another scanner who does not already know. When the regular pages begin,
the software has a feature where you can go to Navigation in the menu and
change the page where Page 1 is to be considered page 1. This is pretty handy
to have, and I like to do it to keep me and my simple minded head straight.

Thanks.
Rik James