[bksvol-discuss] Oh those footnotes

  • From: "Kim Friedman" <kimfri11@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2012 16:11:11 -0700

Hi, I'm going to put my oar in about this having seen some footnotes in
my time. I'm probably old-fashioned but I wouldn't be confused by
literary footnotes if I found an asterisk followed by a number. For
footnotes in other academic pursuits, The way footnotes are done for
anthropological texts is as follows: open parenthesis, Last name of
author followed by colon, followed by name of text, followed by year,
followed by page number, ended by a period and a closed parenthesis.
Here is a fake example of what I mean. (Gibbons: Traditions Among the
Umbuntu, 1978, pp. 357-358.) I also think where one places the notice of
footnotes might be helpful when causing less confusion, e.g., at the end
of the sentence. Sometimes just placing an asterisk after the word to be
footnoted will alert the reader. Regards, Kim Friedman.