[bksvol-discuss] Re: Oct 2. Phone Chat Notes

  • From: Roger Loran Bailey <rogerbailey81@xxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 09 Oct 2012 22:52:34 -0400

You can click the editing history link on a book in process to find out who is proofing it.
On 10/9/2012 7:56 PM, Cindy Rosenthal wrote:
Thanks for this.. Better late than never (trite, but true smile.
re #1:
While it would be nice to have the renew link always available, if the book is no longer in my list of checked-out books I just go  to the available for checkout list and  take it again; so far no one  has taken anything before I could a book back. If someone does I'll ask that they release it; people seem to be very good about that.
hmm. re the second part of the renewal subject.  A screen shot of what? our lists of books we have out, or the email reminder? I could forward the email reminder to you and tell you that the renewal link isn't available for that boo in my list of books I have. is that what you mean?

re #2. I have  in the past notified the scanner of a book I'm taking a long time to proof that I haven't forgotten it and am still working on it; an in the past occasionally the scanner has contacted me and asked about a book and I'v e reported back where I am in it.
However, there could be, I suppose, instances where it is not the scanner who is wondering but someone who wants to read a book they know has been scanned and knows it's being proofed because it's on the In Process list. Is the name of the proofer on that list? If I'm taking a long time with a book someone wants to read perhaps they could ak about it on the email list or write to me. I  work on several books at a time bugt if there's abook someone wants to read I'llstop working on amny other book and will proof tha one. When a person scans a book for me to proof I ask them if they want it asap and then I do it first.

On Tue, Oct 9, 2012 at 11:21 AM, Madeleine Linares <Madeleinel@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi everyone,

So sorry it has taken me so long to write this up! I’ve also attached it as a word doc. As always, please email me with thoughts, questions, and/or concerns (madeleinel@xxxxxxxxxxxx).

Volunteer Phone Chat October 2nd 2012

Who’s here (I hope I wrote everyone down. I didn’t get a chance to do a roll call at the end): Lissi, Evan, Valerie, Courtney S.,  Ann P., Judy S., Kellie, Roger, Marilyn

On staff: Alisa (Volunteer Program Manager), Madeleine (Volunteer Coordinator)

Agenda:

1.       Renewal link issues. We’ve been hearing the complaints. We’ll let you know what we’ve found out from engineering:

We have emailed people from engineering and are (still) waiting to hear back. I’ll update as soon as I know more. Everyone discussed having a constant renewal link as something that everyone seems to want and that we had at one time. We think that it may have changed when we moved to this website. Madeleine reminded everyone that she can renew your books should something come up. Please email her off list if you won’t be able to renew a book and she will be happy to do it for you. If anyone has problems with the renewal link not letting them renew their book when they receive the email, etc., please email Madeleine with details and a screen shot if possible. The more specific information I have, the better!

2.       How do we want to handle it when someone has been proofing a book for a very long time? Sometimes there is a very valid reason (such as a really long book), but perhaps there should be a notification? Has anyone ever found this to be a problem?

People mentioned that a friendly reminder would be helpful just to touch base on the book. If I see that someone has had a book for a very long time, I’ll shoot them a brief email to make sure everyone is doing ok. This is certainly not meant to rush anyone! It is only meant to be a reminder and check in. There was also discussion about the amount of credits per book. Some people thought that it might be nice to base the number of credits on the size and difficulty of a book. For example, a textbook or 600 page book would be eligible for more credits than a teen fantasy book. We will discuss this more with staff members and get back to you all.

3.       Wordpress blog update:

We are working on this. It currently exists and we are in the process of creating various categories or subheadings so as to make it easier to navigate. The categories that everyone currently thinks would be especially important to have are: scanning, proofreading, image  description, Microsoft Word (and subcategories for the different years), Kurzweil, Open Book, formatting, AT tricks, keyboard shortcuts, Bookshare lingo, AT lingo. These may be grouped into larger categories, but I think this is a good start. If anyone has more ideas or thoughts on this, please email Madeleine directly.

4.       Monitoring the discussion list upon Mayrie’s departure:

We had an offer from a volunteer to moderate the list, but instead, for the moment, we have decided that Madeleine will continue to monitor and moderate it. We strongly encourage everyone to continue to answer questions, though! Madeleine can remove people (such as spammers) and will answer questions if there is a conflict in answers, but for the most part she will leave it up to everyone else. This is what has been happening for a little while now and we think that it seems to be working well. All of you on the list have so much knowledge that it seems silly not to utilize it! As always, any concerns or questions can be emailed to Madeleine off list.

5.       How do people feel about the new Holds policy? Is it working? Are there enough books without holds available for new people?

People seem fine with how things are going. As always, we want more volunteers so everyone has more books to choose from but no one seemed to have any complains about the holds policy. If anyone who was unable to make the meeting has thoughts, please email Madeleine directly.

6.       Greeting program: should this be implemented and would it be helpful? Perhaps it could serve as a place to mention the mentoring program?

The thought on our end from the staff was utilizing this program as a way for volunteers to welcome new volunteers in a very general way (so that those who weren’t sure that they were supposed to introduce themselves or who felt left out would be encouraged and included) and also give out some basic information to new volunteers. I’m going to write something up and send it to Lissi who has volunteered to email it out once a week. We’ll keep it very short and sweet. I’ll include information about mentoring and explain the holds policy briefly.

7.       Other thoughts and comments?

Roger wanted to know about the categories that we have to classify books. This is actually a big discussion for the staff and we’re redoing that list of categories to hopefully come up with something more similar to those you might find at a real library. We will share more as soon as we know more.

The general consensus is that people like the meetings and want to continue to have them once a month.

Best,

Madeleine Linares

Volunteer Coordinator

Bookshare, a Benetech Initiative