[bksvol-discuss] OT: three-dimensional models

  • From: Cindy <popularplace@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, bookshare-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 20 Feb 2005 13:00:09 -0800 (PST)

I hesitated about posting the URLs below because
they're not recent, and I though perhaps you know
about them, but then I though, perhaps only some of
you do and others might be interested.

With all the talk about the desire for models to
touch, I googled to find if perhaps there was a store
that would sell them. Of course, as Shelley suggested,
toy stores have a lot of things to feel in the way of
animals and perhaps other things.

I found some sites that offered science models and
math, and then I cam across these two articles; one is
a paper that was presented at the CSUN conference in
1998.

I have no idea what they're talking about, i.e., what
laser stereiolithography is. I find it difficult to
see how a three-dimensional item that can be touched
can be made from light. Admittedly I did not read the
either article much beyond the title. Maybe the March
CSUN conference will have another paper on the subject
of tactile models.

Here are the article titles and URLs

Cindy

THE USE OF LASER STEREOLITHOGRAPHY TO PRODUCE
THREE-DIMENSIONAL TACTILE MOLECULAR MODELS FOR BLIND
AND
VISUALLY IMPAIRED SCIENTISTS AND STUDENTS
1994 article
http://www.rit.edu/~easi/itd/itdv01n4/article6.htm

Scientific Visualization through Tactile Feedback
For Visually Impaired Students
http://www.dinf.ne.jp/doc/english/Us_Eu/conf/csun_98/csun98_170.htm
paper presented at CSUN conference in 1998

http://my.yahoo.com