[bksvol-discuss] Re: OT: spelling names et al

  • From: Ann Parsons <akp@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2007 20:35:05 -0500

Hi all,

<smiling> Yes, we do tend to spell phonetically, and it is one of the pitfalls of being blind. If one is a braille reader and uses it to access a computer, it can make you chuckle when you see spelling errors or homonyms. I will sometimes read email on my BrailleNote and find myself chuckling.

the very best blooper I ever saw was, I believe on the original bookshare-discuss list. This was when Bookshare was first started, and things at Benetech were getting sorted out. One person wrote in to the list, and was quite irate because she had applied to Bookshare and had not had any response. I'll never, ever forget her rant! It was beautiful. She started out by outlining her problem and saying that she had applied a month before. "I don't know what's wrong with you people," she continued. "I think your whole organization must be on auto-Pilate!"

Well, the Synthesizer I was using at the time said that sentence kinda funny, and I looked to see what the problem was. I started laughing and I haven't stopped yet! It's been five years or more, and I'm still laughing! Talk about homonyms; I sent an msg back saying that I thought that procurators had gone out of style and what she really wanted was an aviator. I'm very happy to say that I know that Benetech isn't and never has been on auto-pilot. There's your dose of endorphins for the day, folks.

Ann P.

--
Ann K. Parsons
Portal Tutoring