[bksvol-discuss] Re: OT pronunciation of Los Angeles wasRe: Re: Lenora Mattingly Weber books

  • From: "Kim Friedman" <kimfri11@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 09 Apr 2010 08:46:38 -0700

Hi, Roger, when Sam Yorty was mayor, he pronounced the name of the city with
a hard G. I prefer the soft one myself. However I have no plans of using the
entire name which is (approx.) El Pueblo de Nuestra Senora, Reina de Los
Angeles. Just try putting that on one line. Regards, Kim.

From: Monica Willyard <rhyami@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [bksvol-discuss] Re: Lenora Mattingly Weber books
To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Thursday, April 8, 2010, 7:18 AM

Hi Jamie. I was taught that cookie should be spelled
cooky in my home economics classes in the 70s. It's also spelled that way in

lot of older cookbooks from the 40s through the mid 70s. I was puzzled
when I noticed the change in spelling in books starting in the early 80s. It
changed quickly, sort of like the pronunciation of Los Angeles which used to

be
pronounced with a hard g sound by both radio announcers and government
officials
in the 30s and 40s. Our language really is a living, breathing one that
handles
changes well.

Monica
Willyard