[bksvol-discuss] Re: OT in subject line

  • From: "EVAN REESE" <mentat3@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 16 Jul 2009 14:09:43 -0400

When I see off topic messages without an OT in the subject line, I wonder if
the poster is thumbing his/her nose at other list members, saying: "I know this
message is off topic, but I'm not going to bother indicating that, so that
people who do not want to read subject matter not directly related to what the
list is about have to start reading my messages before they find out that they
are off topic."

OT is used for the convenience of list members so they can skip messages. It
has nothing to do with dissing list owners. I've never heard that mentioned
before today as a reason why people use OT to indicate off topic messages.

Evan