[bksvol-discuss] Re: OT, and color desriptions for what to wear for anyone and tips

  • From: Monica Willyard <plumlipstick@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 06 Oct 2006 14:02:09 -0400

Sue, I used to work with Mary Kay Cosmetics. I sold cosmetics for 5 years. The answer to your question is a simple one. They have a mirror to look into. You just ask them questions like, "when you look at your face, is the blush applied evenly on both cheeks?" They learn what to look for using their own face as a model. With choosing a foundation, I would have my clients try a couple of shades, one on each cheek, and would ask them which shade looked better, more natural, to them. That's what sighted beauty consultants do too because it works well. Finally, most beauty companies give their consuutants something called face cards that show ladies step by step how to apply their makeup and have samples in a coordinated set like blush, eye shadow, lip liner, and lipstick. I would give my client a face card based on her coloring, and she would have that blueprint to go by.

I brought up the discussion of makeup application and color both because I know there is so much more to learn and because it's a topic that isn't represented well in the Bookshare collection. I know how to put on my everyday makeup, for example, but there are special techniques for emphasizing your eyes or mouth. There are new formulations of makeup, and they require new techniques to apply them.

In addition, while I know a lot about makeup, I know very little about clothing and jewelry. It's a whole package, and it's worth learning. (smile)

Monica Willyard

On Friday 10/6/2006 12:36 PM, you wrote:

Hi Laura,

I am not disputing your skills, but if you are blind, I am wondering how you knew when the women/young ladies you taught to apply makeup did something wrong. For example, getting just a bit more blush on one cheek than the other. I am not trying to start an argument here, but am just wondering how you knew if they goofed. <smile>

Sue S.