[bksvol-discuss] Re: OT: Re: I have to say it again...

  • From: Ann Parsons <akp@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: scottr@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 13 May 2010 08:23:15 -0400

Hi all,

Oh, Scott, LOL, that reminds me of something that happened to me twelve years ago now. Lord, where *does* the time go?

If anyone reading this was on the lists at St. John's University then, you'll remember The Fat wars. We called them that because the list that caused all the trouble was an over-eater's anonymous list. Anyway, seems that they had three or four people who wanted to run the list. These ladies were extremely passionate that each should be the one to run the list. There was war on this particular list, factions broke out, the language used toward list members by others was horrendous. People became overwrought and emotional and said the most awful things to each other. The hoodoo became so bad that it reached the ears of the admin of St. John's U. They said they weren't going to be responsible, and if they got any more complaints, they'd trash the whole server and all seven hundred and some lists would be destroyed.

Well, we, the list owners got together and formed a committee to take on the task of deciding which one of the fighting ladies should be listowner of the troublesome list. They also needed a sergeant at arms to police the list during the time of their deliberation. Guess who got elected? Yes, you got it right, Yours Truly.

Friends, it was the most awful week of my life! I had to put people on review, call others on their language, I deleted one person, it was just dreadful, dreadful, nothing like the tame and wonderful folks here. The language, oh, my word, the language they used!

Well, I started this job on a Wednesday, and the following Wednesday, I got a note in email from the chairman of the committee. She said, "Ann, we haven't finished our deliberations yet. Can you hang on till Sunday?"

Well, I can tell you I was feeling punchy, and I wrote back to this gal, tongue in cheek, "Well, OK, but please send chocolates! Now mind," I continued. "I don't want creams, I don't want nuggets, I don't want truffles, only chocolate with nuts."

Well, I emailed this crazy note to the chairman of the committee, and two hours later I got an effusive thank you note from her and her committee. At the bottom of the note I read, "Look out for the FedEx guy on Friday."

I began to feel somewhat guilty, what had I done? I was joking! Had she sent me chocolate almond bars by Hersey? What? Well, Friday came and so did the FedEx guy. I brought in the box and opened it. Inside was a two pound box of candy from Mid's Candies near Philly. There were almond clusters, pecan cups, cashew cups, chocolate covered Brazil nuts, peanut clusters, all nuts all chocolate! I was in Heaven!

So, people at Bookshare or anywhere else better be careful what you wish for, you might just get it. Seems that the chairman of that committee had a sister whose name was Mid, you guessed it, she ran Mid's candies. I was well rewarded for my work as a list cop! Scott, hoping you do stay. We've enjoyed having you here.

Ann P.

--
Ann K. Parsons
Portal Tutoring