[bksvol-discuss] Re: Notepad

  • From: talmage@xxxxxxxxxx
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 20 Feb 2005 21:08:27 -0500

Hi Sue,

If you want to know how Windows sees them,
click Start,
go to settings,
click control panel,
click system,
control tab over to device manager,
tab over until you hear view devices by type,
arrow down thru the list until you hear ports,
hit a right arrow and then the up and down arrows to hear the names of the ports.
I'm doing this from memory, and it's been a while since I've had 98 SE on my system, but the only place where I'm fuzzy in my recollection is once you hear view devices by type. I don't remember if you just use the down arrow to move into the list, or if you hit the space bar. I do sort of remember that once you've whacked enter, or double clicked, on System, if you double click or hit enter again, you'll be back in the main screen of the control panel at system.
This will give you the names like Com1, Com2, Lpt1, etc., but if you want more info on any of the items, tab over and click properties. You can move through the different screens of properties with a control tab, a tab to move up and down. Properties will give info like if the device is, or isn't, working properly, what driver is associated with the device, addresses, etc. You'll probably have to go into screen review to read some of the info.
If you were talking about identifying the physical plugs, your 2 serial ports will probably be DB9 pin male plugs or perhaps a DB25 pin and DB9 pin male plug, your parallel port will be a DB25 pin female, you may also have a game port which will be a female plug about the same size as 1 of the DB9 Com ports, and if you have USB or FireWire ports, they will be small slots that can be hard to find, but they will probably be near the Com ports. When I say male verses female plugs, the male plugs will have pins you can feel, while the female just has holes for the pins. (no comments here please) If you are feeling around back behind your computer much trying to identify these plugs or to connect any other than the USB or FireWire, it is best to have your system powered down, as bad things can happen if you short out any of the male pins. As you have a tower computer, the order is probably something like this: a number of audio connectors for speakers, microphone, line in, line out, your 2 com ports (usually Com1 on the bottom and Com2 on the top, your USB or FireWire plugs if you have them on the top of that row near the outside of the case, your game port down near the audio plugs usually more towards the center of the back plate, and your parallel port above that.
One last thing, you can usually change the addresses of your parallel and Com ports in your system bios, but this will take sighted assistance. I.e. you can change your parallel port from Lpt1 to Lpt2, and your Com ports between Com 1 and 4. It isn't usually a great idea to have a Com1 andCom3, or a Com 2 and Com4 combination as 1-3 both use IRQ (interrupt request) 4, and 2-4 both use IRQ 3, and this can cause conflicts depending on what you have connected to them. If you have an internal modem, you will also want to go to the properties for that to see what com port resource that is using.
A bit long winded, full of run on sentences, and probably more than you were asking, but I hope this helped.

Dave

At 06:07 PM 2/20/2005, you wrote:

Hi Dave and Reggie,

Yep, that would be my problem.  I still have Windows 98 se.  Dave, while I'm
on here, is there some command I could give to find out the names of my
ports on the computer?  I have a Gateway Tower and the wires are color
coded, and nothing is said about which port is which.  <smile>

Sue S.