[bksvol-discuss] Non-English words

  • From: Cindy <popularplace@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 6 Jan 2005 17:57:28 -0800 (PST)

Gisela,

If you don't feel like googling the words in the
Norton Anthology, you can post them here. Some of our
people are linguists -- I think Pratik is fluent in 8
languages and Guido in 3, nd Dilsia and some others in
Spanish. Besides, if it's literature up to 1100 a.d.,
some of those words are probably Old English. both
Pratik and I have the Oxford English Dictionary, and
so may some others.

When I was in high school, we had to memorize the
first 16 lines of Chaucer's Canterbury Tales. When I
was a freshman in college (before most of you were
born), our English teacher asked if anyone could read
it. I was the only one who could rattle it off -- not
quite fair, of course, since I was doing it from
memory more than actually reading, but the professor
was duly impressed.

Cindy

http://my.yahoo.com