[bksvol-discuss] Next Meeting of the Science Fiction Club, Thursday, August 13, 2015

  • From: "Evan Reese" <mentat1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Bob Acosta" <boacosta@xxxxxxxxxxx>, <bookshare-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <sfclub@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 10 Jul 2015 20:50:00 -0400

Hello Folks,

A solid showing of regulars at our most recent meeting, with opinions decidedly
mixed with respect to our book, The Mote in God’s Eye. For this month, when
many people are traveling, we’ve chosen a tale of an epic journey across a
gigantic world. We’ve selected Lord Valentine’s Castle by Robert Silverberg.

The next meeting of the Science Fiction club will be on Thursday, August 13,
2015.

Place: Book Nook at:

http://conference321.com/masteradmin/room.asp?id=rs7867a2369e0e

Time: 9 PM Eastern, 8 PM Central, 7 PM Mountain, 6 PM Pacific, and 1:00 UTC.

Our book, Lord Valentine’s Castle, is available both from BARD, and in a
Publisher Quality version from Bookshare.

The BARD version is at:

http://hdl.loc.gov/loc.nls/db.59545

and the Bookshare version is at:

https://www.bookshare.org/browse/book/802693

The NLS annotation reads:

On planet Majipoor, Valentine, a young man ignorant of his destiny, joins a
troupe of traveling jugglers. Later, with his purpose clear, he undertakes an
epic journey to reclaim the throne as his world's rightful ruler.

This is Bookshare’s Long Synopsis:

He is a man with no past--a wanderer without memory of his origins. He calls
himself Valentine. As a member of a motley group of entertainers, he travels
across the magical planet of Majipoor, always hoping he will meet someone who
can give him back what he has lost. And then, he begins to dream--and to
receive messages in those dreams. Messages that tell him that he is far more
than a common vagabond--he is a lord, a king turned out of his castle. Now his
travels have a purpose—to return to his home, discover what enemy took his
memory, and claim the destiny that awaits him...

Come join us next month to talk about this epic story set on a large,
fascinating world, and whatever else you’ve been reading lately, or would like
to read.

Evan