[bksvol-discuss] Next Meeting In The Bookshare Chat Room

  • From: "Susan Lumpkin" <slumpkin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bookshare-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2007 00:51:35 -0500

        FOR IMMEDIATE DISTRIBUTION

The opening of the Bookshare Online Chat Room was a big success.  At one
point in the session we had 30 participants plus four moderators.  This was
more than we hoped for.  What made this opening so special was the
communication between Bookshare staff, volunteers, users and people who are
interested in having Bookshare in their future. A team like this can only
augment the effort to utilize the power of the Internet to enhance
communication between those of us who are actively working to expand the
Bookshare.org collection, Bookshare volunteers reside in many parts of the
world so attending a meeting in a brick and mortar building isn't possible.
The chat room will allow everyone to attend and share ideas, get answers to
questions immediately, and form a community of friends with a common
interest without leaving home or office.
During the first meeting, we held a discussion to decide the best day, time,
and length for  weekly meetings. In order to include those who are employed,
it was decided future meetings will be held each Tuesday at 5:00 p.m.
Pacific. 6:00 p.m. Mountain; 7:00 p.m. Central; 8:00 p.m. Eastern.
This Tuesday Jane Dickison will be presenting Tips for Scanning. Because
there are so many methods of accomplishing this task, we will discuss it in
general and deal mostly with Kurzweil. In weeks to come, we'll be taking
your ideas for different methods. You might even want to make a presentation
yourself about the program you are using.
All you need to attend is a PC running Windows 2000 or later, an Internet
connection, a sound card, and speakers. A microphone will be needed to allow
you to interact audibly with each other. If, however, you do not have a
microphone, text chatting will be available.

To join the fun, click on the Bookshare Chat Room link on  the Accessible
World website at:

        http://www.accessibleworld.org

or use the following direct link:  http://tinyurl.com/2avczp

If this is the first time you have entered a Talking Communities chat room,
you will need to install and then run the Talkcom software. It is very small
and safe to install on your computer.

When the installation is complete, return to the sign-in screen and select
the Enter Room button. Enter your first and last name, Leave the Password
field blank. tab to the log in button, and press Enter.
That's it. You will be in the chat room and can begin talking with others in
the room by pressing and holding down the Control key.
Remember, too, that the room is open 24/7 so you are free to stop by any
time.
We hope you will be a part of this new Bookshare event. Also, invite all
your friends. Seating is unlimited.
See you Tuesday, June 12!
For additional information, contact:
Jane Dickison - jane53@xxxxxxxxx
<file:///C:\Documents%20and%20Settings\Owner\Desktop\jane53@xxxxxxxxx>
Susan Lumpkin - slumpkin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
<file:///C:\Documents%20and%20Settings\Owner\Desktop\slumpkin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Pat Price - pat@xxxxxxxxxxxx
<file:///C:\Documents%20and%20Settings\Owner\Desktop\pat@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
PLEASE NOTE;
This online live chat is entirely an activity of Bookshare volunteers but
the Benetech staff applauds the formation of this community and promises to
join us when their time permits.

The Bookshare Chat Room is sponsored by the Accessible World in partnership
with Talking Communities.

Susan Lumpkin, Co-Facilitator
Bookshare Chat Room
slumpkin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx