[bksvol-discuss] Re: Newbie questions

  • From: "Kim Friedman" <kimfri11@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 23 Jun 2011 16:25:09 -0700

Hi, Tim, I'll try and answer some questions. The books scanned can be
pretty much anything you like, but if it's already in the Bookshare
collection, then you might as well not bother with re-scanning it unless
the scan in the collection is of an inferior quality. Then you can make
a better scan of a work for others to proofread if you're so inclined.
If you are submitting a book that isn't in the Bookshare collection, you
can place a hold on a book for a proofreader if you would like to do so.
Proofreaders generally don't put holds on books but submitters (those
folks who scan books) do. If you have problems with a book you are
proofreading due to real problems you're having with a scanned file, you
can release it in hopes another proofreader can deal with it more
successfully than you or you can reject the file because it is so
problematical that any proofreader would end up going nuts trying to
deal with the thing. The renewal you are referring to has to do with
your subscription to Bookshare. If you are a student, generally parents
or teachers are paying for the subscription to Bookshare. In my case,
when I joined Bookshare, the first year cost me $75.00 because there was
a set up fee of $25 plus $50.00. I don't know if this had to do with
establishing proof of disability or not, but there it was. After the
first year, I paid $50.00 per year. This allows us to download about 100
books every thirty days or so or 1,200 every year. If one is a volunteer
and can't afford the subscription fee, one can scan twenty books or
proofread twenty books or do a combination of scanning and/or
proofreading and if said scanned or proofread books are added to the
collection, each book scanned or proofread gives you a credit of $2.50
per book. Welcome to the volunteers and don't be afraid to ask
questions. Folks are willing to help out. Hope this answers some of your
questions. Regards, Kim Friedman.