[bksvol-discuss] New books tip

  • From: Tony Baechler <tony@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 20 Mar 2005 01:41:03 -0800

Hi all. I realize that this is a pain, but it is the only possible way I know of to find new books when you've missed them on the new books page. I really hope bookshare doesn't change their category code, i.e. the code that creates the books by category page because this will quit working.

When I checked last, you could go into a category, such as mysteries, and the new books would show up at the top. While this is inconvenient, a possibility for finding new books is to open each category page and look at titles until they look familiar. This might not be reliable though depending on if they still put new books at the top of the list as they used to.

Here is another tip, mostly for Window-Eyes users but might work for anyone. I think JFW has a similar feature. If you don't like looking at the Spanish titles or if you are only an English speaker as I am, you can hit Control+Shift+F in Window-Eyes to pop up a find dialogue. The Control+F doesn't work right. Just enter the word "English" and let it search. That will get you past the Spanish titles on that page. If you come across more later in the page, just repeat the find command. I tried that once and it worked perfectly.

Someone please let me know if the category list can still be used to find new books. I only tried this once a long time ago. Also I think the books in each category are different before and after you login. I hope Marissa or a staff person posts a full list of new books for the week. One nice thing about looking at each category is that if you can't stand romance, you don't have to look at that category. Note that when searching for title or author, it seems to put the titles in alphabetical order. In other words, the form at the top to do a search doesn't show new books first.